METAL BOAT FESTIVAL
ALL ARE WELCOME!
Not a member? Not to worry! The Metal Boat Festival is open to everyone, Metal Boat Society members and non-members alike. Do note that in the past couple years there have been two festivals, one "Mini-Fest" in the spring and the "big one" in the fall. This page is all about the long established fall MBS Festival. Come learn, enjoy, and find out what Metal Boat lovers are all about.
NOTE: Schedule for the 2015 Festival may be found under "Schedule" on the Festival Dropdown as it is established.
This is a call for a volunteer sign-up to help with mainly manning the registration desk. We need two people for Friday for two shifts 7:00am -11:00am and 11:00AM -3:00PM. For Saturday we need two for 8:00am -11:00am and one from 11:00am - 2:30pm. We feel based on past experience that the other jobs which are of much shorter duration can be recruited on the spot. Email the web master if you can prior to arriving, or chat with the reception desk upon arrival. An in-depth Schedule is presented for the event.
Mark your calendars for the
28th Annual Metal Boat Festival!
August 7, 8, & 9, 2015
The 2015 Festival will again be held at Anacortes, Washington, USA. Anacortes is on Fidalgo Island (bridge accessible) and is the gateway to the San Juan Islands, with beautiful views of the cascade and Olympic Mountains. Member boats will berth at the Cap Sante Boat Haven (Port of Anacortes Marina). See the panorama just above.
- Festival sessions will be held at the Seafarer's Memorial Park Building, 601 Seafarer's Way, Anacortes, Washington 98221. Directions: when approaching Anacortes on Highway 20, at the stoplight intersection where 20 makes a left turn South to Oak Harbor continue straight ahead on the 20 Spur to the next stoplight and keep to the right to take a free right turn onto R Avenue. Continue down R ave which changes to Q Avenue and turn right onto Seafarer's Way. Look for signs and banners.
The Festival Plan in Brief
We will be covering a variety of topics at information-packed sessions. We will also be holding social events for opportunity to rub elbows.
- Friday & Saturday
will begin at 8:00 a.m. and run throughout each day with learning sessions, door prize drawings, wonderful meals together, and lots of rubbing elbows with interesting boat people, both from local areas and from around the world. Many of them will be members whom we have not seen since last year's Festival.
Saturday Barbeque, Boat Tour, and "Sunset Sail".
This year we plan to have our barbeque at the docks near the boats on tour along with the swap meet. After these events, those boat owners who choose to participate will take Festival attendees out for and evening sunset sail. This has been a big hit in past festivals.
- starts at 9:00 a.m. and ends mid afternoon. Sunday activities include the Builders/Designers Forum and the Annual Business Meeting (AGBM).
- Sessions are described in the Festival Schedule as below...
- Be sure to keep checking back at the Festival Schedule area of the website because we will be adding more information about the Speakers/sessions as information comes in.
- A free Festival T-shirt is included per paid registrant. Our many fine sponsors provide us with lots of valuable and fun prizes to give as door prizes and for fund raising raffles to be held throughout the weekend.
- Commercial Members, Speakers and Sponsors are encouraged to set up displays so that Festival attendees may get one-on-one face time to learn more about their products and services and to ask those questions that didn't get answered during their formal presentations. Do you have a trailerable metal boat you would like to show off? We will provide space in the parking lot.
- Swap Meet
- Do you have some left over materials, equipment, books, or charts that you would like to sell or trade? Bring it along for our swap meet. Or maybe you just have some materials you want to get off your boat such as left over paint, lumber, adhesives and sealants (you know they don't keep very long) to give away. You would be surprised at how many members are scroungers and love to get something for nothing.
- MBS Annual General Business Meeting
- The AGBM is a requirement of the State of Washington where we are incorporated. Members of the Society who are interested in what has been happening during the last year, and wish to have a voice in any changes that could be taking place should attend. We need to hear from you. Be there to be sure your opinion and vote counts.
Want more detail? An in-depth Schedule for this year is presented for the event. As Festival plans for the 2015 year come together, the schedule page is brought up-to-date. Even more detail will be provided during sign-in at Festival. You are invited to visit last years schedule for comparison if you like.
We want to thank the following sponsors who are helping to make the 2014 Festival a roaring success. They deserve your support!, and say thanks from all of us...
The area local to Anacortes offers a broad range of accomodations for attendees. Below are a few.
Moorage for Arrival by Sea
Reserved moorage at the Marina Docks will be provided for our Festivals metal boats. Moorage fee for festival boats is waived for pre-registrated attendees. Attendees arriving by boat after Thursday noon & leaving before Sunday evening incur no additional cost beyond the normal registration fee. Please first register for the Festival then contact MBF dock masterLance Ekhard, by phone at 360-305-5345360-305-5345, or by email to get your place in the Festival Boat group.
Motels for Arrival by Road
For arrival by air, this scenic Festival location is conveniently located near either SeaTac airport or the B.C. airports. Lots of us will be driving in thru this beautiful area. It's rumored that one midwest member will even arrive by RV. links provided below are one of many for specific motels found by search engines.
Burlington (20-35 Min / 15 miles from Anacortes)
To register: Register for 2015 Festival here on the site, or by mail using information found in recent Metal Boat Quarterly. Feel free to email or call MBS as shown at the bottom of this page and we will be sure to answer any questions you may have. Do not forget -- register first and then follow up with a call to our dock master to reserve your free moorage in the festival group.
COME ENJOY THE 2015 METAL BOAT FESTIVAL WITH US!!!